In Josh’s chat show he talks with people in the kid’s mental health and well-being fields to discover the person behind their work and what motivates them.
Chelle Taylor co-founder and co-owner of Blossomtree Psychology Ballarat. She’s a registered Clinical Psychologist with over 20 years’ experience working in government departments and community service organisations in remote rural and regional centres in Western Australia and Victoria. Chelle specialises in the provision of therapy to infants, children, and families who have experienced disruption in the development of attachment in primary care relationship and/or developmental trauma such as abuse and neglect. Chelle has a regular spot on Power FM Ballarat
This wide-ranging interview covers:
• What does a child psychologist actually do?
• How important is the parent / caregiver role in the therapy process?
• Why is getting kids to be comfortable with their emotions so important?
• What ways can parents do that?
• Overcoming generations of unhelpful parenting.
• What subtle message are we sending kids by not acknowledging their feelings?
• Why Chelle doesn’t agree with ‘time out’.
• What is the effect of screentime on the developing brain?
• Why are online games and social media so addictive?
• How can parents help balance screentime with in real world time for their kids?
• What is ‘sleep hygiene’ and are the benefits?
• What’s one thing parents can do to get a better night’s sleep and have their kids get a better night’s sleep?
Find out more about Chelle Taylor at https://www.blossomtreepsychology.com.au/
Listen to Chelle’s advice segment on Power FM Ballarat. https://www.facebook.com/chelleblossomtreepsychology
About Josh Langley’s Inspiring Kids Program
Inspiring Kids is a fun video-based program that’s making a real difference to the lives of kids with Autism, ADHD, anxiety, learning differences, or who have suffered trauma or bullying.
Welcome to part 2 of my special 2 part series on parenting.
So what do I know about parenting? Nothing, so I’m asking parenting coaches and mentors for their insights. I chatted with Lillian Reekie who teaches the Nurtured Heart Approach to Parenting.
TW: We do discuss suicide at around the 40-minute mark, so if that is it too triggering for you, skip that part.
- What led Lillian to become a parenting strategist.
- How the birth of her second son threw the family into chaos.
- At the age of 3 her son was asked to be taken out of 6 childcare centres and then diagnosed with ODD, ADHD and childhood depression.
- Lillian recounts the traumatic primary and high school days of her son. • How a shift to a Steiner School worked out better, until it shut down.
- How her son didn’t fit into the conventional school system and got into further trouble.
- The dramatic moment things started to turn around.
- Why Lillian went in search of a parenting mentor.
- The incredible story of who they found.
- The power of words and the energy behind the words.
- What is upside down parenting?
- What is the Nurtured Heart Approach and why is it so powerful?
- The 3 key aspects (Stands) to changing behaviour.
- Setting boundaries and outlining consequences.
- The importance of modelling behaviour.
- How the Nurtured heart approach has improved overall relationships
- How Lillian’s oldest son attempted to take his own life and the deeper reasons why.
- What lights Lillian up?
More about Lillian. Lillian Reekie is a Parenting Strategist and a Nurtured Heart Approach Trainer. https://parentsupportnetwork.com.au/
Part 1 of my 2-part series on parenting.
What do I know about parenting? Zilch! So I asked a couple of very different experts, but strap yourself in, this is not your common garden variety parenting advice.
- Why Yolanda become a parenting coach.
- Why she wasn’t showing up for her kids.
- How she turned the idea of ‘mother’s must sacrifice everything for their family’ on it’s head and became a better mother.
- How by becoming happier within herself, she was able to be more present for her kids.
- How can parents be more conscious in how they parent?
- How kids today have a different mindset than those of previous generations.
- Yolanda’s 5 step program – from chaos to calm.
- What lights Yolanda up?
About Yolanda: Yolanda runs Empowered Parenting and is an empowered parenting consultant & coach and author of Abundant Motherhood – Empowering Mums to Empower their Kids. Yolanda runs workshops for both parents & kids around Melbourne & online. Find out more at https://empoweredcoaching.com.au/
How do you teach kids empathy especially in the online world? I chat with online expert and educator, Jeremy Kalbstein about how to help kids and parents deal with bullying online and to build empathy. It’s a complex issue and Jeremy breaks it down with simple and effective strategies. He also talks about his soon to be released program for schools ‘The Empathy Initiative’ to help build empathy, to be an upstander and explore the impact of multitasking and helping kids manage their screen time.